Friday, February 18, 2011
The answers are in one of the several detailed biographical profiles in Biography Reference Bank, or you can wait until later today, when we will tweet them.
1) What were the names of George Washington's parents?
a) Ann and Lawrence
b) Mary and Augustine
c) Martha and George
2) Washington's home, Mt. Vernon, was named after which significant figure in Washington's life?
a) A commander in the Continental army.
b) The governor who sent the 22-year-old Washington on an expedition to ascertain the number of French stationed on the Ohio and vicinity.
c) The admiral who was leading an expedition in which Washington was offered a place as midshipman as a youth.
3) In March 1776, Washington and his army surrounded the city of Boston. What was the outcome of this maneuver?
a) The British were defeated by Washington's troops in battle.
b) The British defeated Washington's troops and they had to regroup outside the city.
c) The British left the city without a fight.
a) Attacked Cornwallis's army.
b) Surrendered his commission as commander in chief.
c) Accepted the presidency of the United States.
5) What domestic crisis did Washington face in July 1794?
a) Pennsylvania farmers rebelled over a tax on making whiskey.
b) Jefferson rebelled over recognizing the new French government.
c) His cabinet split into Federalists and Republicans.
6) How old was Washington when he stepped down as president?